Monday, March 1, 2010

Reflections of DH

This year’s Rocky Gap Dissertation Writing Retreat has been very rewarding. As I am in the writing stages of my dissertation, having the ability to work ‘non-stop’ on targeted goals to complete chapters provides me with a sense of accomplishment. Even though I could have set time aside to complete the tasks that I completed during the retreat, the prevalence of distracting people, potential procrastination, and at times paralyzing isolation would have been fighting against me accomplishing everything on my list. In addition to completing my task, I have the opportunity to meet with Dr. Carter, the dissertation coach, to give guidance and perspective to tasks that I intended to accomplish during the retreat and the development of goals to accomplish after I leave the retreat. Lastly, the ability to share with other students your joys and pains of working on your dissertation, along with the camaraderie of working in a room with other students typing to accomplish similar goals, could not be found at home or at school. I’m glad I pulled myself away from the lab and my dining room table/ writing table to attend the retreat this year.

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

PROMISE Community Building - A Place for Graduate Students.

PROMISE: Maryland's Alliance for Graduate Education and the Professoriate (AGEP) seeks to increase the numbers and diversity of Ph.D.s in the STEM fields by building community and supporting graduate students from a variety of backgrounds and disciplines. Here, we salute the spirit of PROMISE!
_____________________________________
Click one of the tabs at the top: "Home" to see the main blog site with all posts, "Retreats" to see more information about the Community Building Retreats for grad students, and "PROMISE Videos" to see some videos from the PROMISEagep YouTube Channel. Other topics and pages will be added as the blog site grows.
_____________________________________