Monday, March 2, 2009

First Year PROMISE Protege Enjoys Rocky Gap Retreat

Hello everyone,
It is indeed a pleasure to be able to address all of my current and newfound friends this glorious day. I really dislike snow days from school, because they just make professors rearrange the syllabus and reconstruct an already difficult reading list into a more profound one. BUT! As I reminisce about this past weekend, my soul cries out, "Hallejulah!"
Although I am not an outdoor type, I enjoyed being in the woods with everyone. The water, the rabbit basking on the open fire, the eggs popping, the leader instructing us on "how not to eat poisonous foodstuff in the wilderness," and so many other great moments. The food was delicious (as always), the company was great, and most importantly, both my roommate and I snore!
Thank you so much to the PROMISE team from all 3 campuses. This was an experience I will never forget. I learned so much from the PhD students who seemed to be burrowed down in their dissertation boot camp. Gloria and Dr. Tull were always on the scene in the woods with us, making sure we enjoyed the full effects of the experience. The skits were the icing on the cake!
If opportunity permits, I will definitely apply next spring. I loved the campfire and not knowing the words to the songs we sang. The songstress from India enlightened us with songs from her country, which was truly amazing. Thank you God, thank you PROMISE staff and faculty, thanks to the U.S. government for its support and financial contributions to this program, and thanks to my new friends for making my weekend truly remarkable and memorable. Thank you from Melissa LaToya Browning

No comments:

PROMISE Community Building - A Place for Graduate Students.

PROMISE: Maryland's Alliance for Graduate Education and the Professoriate (AGEP) seeks to increase the numbers and diversity of Ph.D.s in the STEM fields by building community and supporting graduate students from a variety of backgrounds and disciplines. Here, we salute the spirit of PROMISE!
_____________________________________
Click one of the tabs at the top: "Home" to see the main blog site with all posts, "Retreats" to see more information about the Community Building Retreats for grad students, and "PROMISE Videos" to see some videos from the PROMISEagep YouTube Channel. Other topics and pages will be added as the blog site grows.
_____________________________________