Monday, March 2, 2009

Rocky Gap Retreat

When I first saw the application for the Promise Rocky Gap Retreat, I filled it out immediately. But as the time approached to attend the retreat I had a few apprehensions. I was beginning to stress out because I had so much homework due the following week. I felt as though I was unable to take a weekend off. I even reconsidered attending the retreat. In the end, I decided to go. I figured if I didn't study over the weekend I would study when I returned on Sunday.

While at the retreat I realized that deciding to go was one of the best decisions I made as a graduate student. Not only did I learn survival skills but I met people who share some the same experiences as graduate students. I met people who understand the stresses that graduate students of color face. It was refreshing to be around a group of people who had similar goals, and who had worries about their career as a student. It was even more refreshing to be able to step away from my work and completely immerse myself in team building, survival skills, game night, etc. As I reflect on the retreat, I realize that sometimes what we need is to get away; to remove ourselves from the present situation and relax. That is what the Promise Retreat was able to do for me. And surprisingly, there was time where I was able to get some studying done (even though I preferred not to).

I really enjoyed the retreat and I am very glad that I attended. I hope I can participate in the retreat next year; I am already looking forward to it. Thanks Dr. Tull, Dr. Carter, and Gloria Anglon! I don't think we as students will ever fully understand how you all do the work that you do!

No comments:

PROMISE Community Building - A Place for Graduate Students.

PROMISE: Maryland's Alliance for Graduate Education and the Professoriate (AGEP) seeks to increase the numbers and diversity of Ph.D.s in the STEM fields by building community and supporting graduate students from a variety of backgrounds and disciplines. Here, we salute the spirit of PROMISE!
_____________________________________
Click one of the tabs at the top: "Home" to see the main blog site with all posts, "Retreats" to see more information about the Community Building Retreats for grad students, and "PROMISE Videos" to see some videos from the PROMISEagep YouTube Channel. Other topics and pages will be added as the blog site grows.
_____________________________________