Monday, March 1, 2010

Great Food, Relaxation, and Fun!

What else could you ask for?! :) As a first year graduate student I will admit, I was very nervous about coming to the Community Building Retreat. I didn't really know anybody that was coming and going at anything alone, as we all know, can be scary at first. But from the beginning of the bus ride until the very end of the trip I have felt nothing more than respect and cooperation with my fellow colleagues. Everyone has been so welcoming, telling their stories of struggles and tribulations, giving guidance, or just listening. This has been a great experience for me and without this weekend to get away and meet all my peers I would not feel the sense of pride, inspiration, and comradarie that I have taken away from this trip. Thank you to everyone who helped plan this event including Dr. Tull and Dr. Carter. I am so grateful I was given this opportunity to attend. I hope that there is some way to continue this retreat next year for all those isolated, confused, nervous future first year students :) Oh, and GO BEARS!!!

No comments:

PROMISE Community Building - A Place for Graduate Students.

PROMISE: Maryland's Alliance for Graduate Education and the Professoriate (AGEP) seeks to increase the numbers and diversity of Ph.D.s in the STEM fields by building community and supporting graduate students from a variety of backgrounds and disciplines. Here, we salute the spirit of PROMISE!
_____________________________________
Click one of the tabs at the top: "Home" to see the main blog site with all posts, "Retreats" to see more information about the Community Building Retreats for grad students, and "PROMISE Videos" to see some videos from the PROMISEagep YouTube Channel. Other topics and pages will be added as the blog site grows.
_____________________________________