Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Promise Community Building Retreat

This retreat was a great opportunity for me to build relationships with fellow cohorts. I am currently a first year out-of-state graduate student, and this event presented me with the opportunity to network with new people. The team building exercises were exciting, and I had the chance to apply some of the methodologies that I have obtained in class. I think one of the most notable concepts that I gained from the activities was that challenges are more manageable when you have group support. This was an important lesson for me because I often disconnect from people.

Overall, the retreat was a great experience. I enjoyed all of the games, team building activities, encouragement from peers and mentors, and food! I would like to thank Promise for this opportunity, and I hope I will have a chance to participate again in the future.

1 comment:

Wings said...

What can I saw? Rocky Gap Rocked! I know that I am so privileged to have had the opportunity to participate in the Promise Community Building Retreat not once, but twice during my graduate career at UMCP. The first time was in 2006 at Coolfont, when I was still in the early stages of my program. I was able to participate in the community building activities more so that year. This year I participated in the Promise Dissertation House. Both experiences provided me with exactly what I needed at different stages of my graduate education. I left the retreat this year with strong results towards completing my dissertation proposal, along with an increased commitment to disciplining myself and working with others in the process in order to reach my dissertation completion goal. I am intensely grateful to Dr. Carter and Dr. Tull for being so committed to every participant and for going far and beyond the call of duty in an effort to meet our needs. I also want to thank all of the participants for sharing this experience with me. I look forward to reading about everyone's current and future successes that will have no doubt been influenced by this retreat and other Promise activities.
-Angel

PROMISE Community Building - A Place for Graduate Students.

PROMISE: Maryland's Alliance for Graduate Education and the Professoriate (AGEP) seeks to increase the numbers and diversity of Ph.D.s in the STEM fields by building community and supporting graduate students from a variety of backgrounds and disciplines. Here, we salute the spirit of PROMISE!
_____________________________________
Click one of the tabs at the top: "Home" to see the main blog site with all posts, "Retreats" to see more information about the Community Building Retreats for grad students, and "PROMISE Videos" to see some videos from the PROMISEagep YouTube Channel. Other topics and pages will be added as the blog site grows.
_____________________________________