Friday, February 27, 2009

high hopes for dissertation house!

This will be my first time in the dissertation house! I've always wanted to do the week-long boot camps that Dr. Carter puts on at UMBC, but it's typically not feasible to be away from work that long. Like, REALLY away, where I don't feel the need to check email or voicemail every couple hours. So looking forward to being able to focus with no distractions. At the same time, I fully expect that I'll go through some point where my mind will get sick of working and starting CRAVING some distraction. But my fellow DHers should help pull me through! I (and my advisor, lol) want to propose this semester, this summer at the latest, so this should be a great boost towards that goal.

To everyone, both the DH and outdoor folk, looking forward meeting you or seeing you again! To the first timers: the veterans of Coolfont/Rocky Gap will tell you it's a great time to meet future friends, learn new things, and have some challenging experiences. I encourage you make the most of it.

Best wishes for a great weekend!

RHH

Robert Holder, UMBC
Computer Science
4-time(!?!?) PROMISE Retreat participant

1 comment:

A Gomez said...

Dr. Carter has been one of the most supportive and encouraging people I have ever met, and no doubt, it was through PROMISE that such a person can be connected to us. Her seminars have been most useful and helpful to me. I strongly suggest, recommend and promise that working with her, good results will always come out. Thank you Promise for bringing aboard!!! angelog@umd.edu

PROMISE Community Building - A Place for Graduate Students.

PROMISE: Maryland's Alliance for Graduate Education and the Professoriate (AGEP) seeks to increase the numbers and diversity of Ph.D.s in the STEM fields by building community and supporting graduate students from a variety of backgrounds and disciplines. Here, we salute the spirit of PROMISE!
_____________________________________
Click one of the tabs at the top: "Home" to see the main blog site with all posts, "Retreats" to see more information about the Community Building Retreats for grad students, and "PROMISE Videos" to see some videos from the PROMISEagep YouTube Channel. Other topics and pages will be added as the blog site grows.
_____________________________________