Thursday, March 19, 2009

eye-opening experience

The Promise Retreat to Rocky Gap could be described as tremendous learning experience for me, not only because of the outdoor activities, but also for the opportunity to meet and interact with students of various majors and cultural backgrounds. If I were to look back 4-5 years and ask myself whether or not I could see myself attending a weekend where I am in an unfamiliar atomosphere with individuals that I have never met before, I would probably have declined to attend. In the begining I was reluctant to attend, given the circumstances I previously mentioned, however I received so much positive feedback from those who had previously attended, which assisted in my decision to attend. I can safely say I enjoyed every moment of the retreat. Each outodoor activity, conversation, and social interaction was an opportunity for me to step outside of my comfort zone and expand my experiences. It also provided an atomosphere that allowed us to take a break from our studies, share experiences and network with fellow students that are going through the same proces (PhD/graduate studies), which was very theraputic and beneficial for me. I only hope to be able to attend further retreats by the Promise program. Thank you for this opportunity

Carlton Marshall

No comments:

PROMISE Community Building - A Place for Graduate Students.

PROMISE: Maryland's Alliance for Graduate Education and the Professoriate (AGEP) seeks to increase the numbers and diversity of Ph.D.s in the STEM fields by building community and supporting graduate students from a variety of backgrounds and disciplines. Here, we salute the spirit of PROMISE!
_____________________________________
Click one of the tabs at the top: "Home" to see the main blog site with all posts, "Retreats" to see more information about the Community Building Retreats for grad students, and "PROMISE Videos" to see some videos from the PROMISEagep YouTube Channel. Other topics and pages will be added as the blog site grows.
_____________________________________