Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Promise Retreat After Effects

It has been 2 months since I participated in the Promise Retreat at Rocky Gap. I still think about this retreat for a few reasons:

- Every time I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed with school work, I think about how much fun I had at the retreat and how fun it was to learn new things even if it was hard. As a result, I try to keep that mindset as I'm plowing through countless/endless articles and books for my program. The joy of learning has become my mantra

- A few weeks ago I had a student visit my office and he said " I want to go to college" This particular student needs a lot of assistance to help him reach his goal but through Promise, I was able to refer him to a colleague at BCCC whom I met at the retreat.

- I've also met a number of friends that I would have never met if I didn't attend the retreat. Not only do we hang out outside of school but we also encourage each other to push harder and obtain our goals. It's so nice to have a support group.

- Lastly, I am so thankful to have met Dr. Tull who works so hard to provide us with constant support and a means to grow, network, and obtain success in our individual programs.


Danielle Jolly

No comments:

PROMISE Community Building - A Place for Graduate Students.

PROMISE: Maryland's Alliance for Graduate Education and the Professoriate (AGEP) seeks to increase the numbers and diversity of Ph.D.s in the STEM fields by building community and supporting graduate students from a variety of backgrounds and disciplines. Here, we salute the spirit of PROMISE!
_____________________________________
Click one of the tabs at the top: "Home" to see the main blog site with all posts, "Retreats" to see more information about the Community Building Retreats for grad students, and "PROMISE Videos" to see some videos from the PROMISEagep YouTube Channel. Other topics and pages will be added as the blog site grows.
_____________________________________